We’d like to extend a heartfelt Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family from all of us here at Armada.
We hope that you take this restful holiday to relax and spend time with loved ones. That said, with special occasions come increased health and safety risks. So to keep this a happy, safe and healthy Thanksgiving, check out these tips.
- Fire: Over 4,000 fires occur on Thanksgiving each year, with fried turkeys being a major culprit. Be sure not to leave any food unattended when cooking. Also, be sure not to forget about lit candles, and keep them away from children, pets, walkways, trees, and curtains. Don’t leave your fireplace unattended, either!
- Turkey: Don’t let the star of your meal make anyone sick! Check out the CDC’s Food Safety Tips for cooking your Thanksgiving Turkey.
- Children: It’s easy to get distracted when surrounded by great friends and family, but don’t forget to keep an eye on your kids, especially the little ones. If you don’t have kids but have little ones coming over, take a minute to kid-proof your house. Put away potentially dangerous items and make sure they know the ground rules of where and where not to go.
- Pets: Throwing your dog a bone may seem like a nice gesture, but turkey bones splinter and can be a choking hazard to pets.
- Travel: Plan ahead. Know your directions and what the weather will be like on the way and when you get there. Wear your seatbelt and drive responsibly. If you’re going out of town, try not to broadcast your house’s vacancy on social media to protect it against any potential wrongdoers.
- Holiday Heart Syndrome: Having too much to drink can cause irregular heart rhythms, especially if you’re older or overweight. Digesting an enormous amount of food also puts extra strain on your heart. Be aware of these risks that could result in a turkey day scare.
Remember, the holidays should be a time to destress. So kick back, throw on some football and enjoy.
For those of you who are Ultimate Health members, remember to bring your Membership Cards with you when you travel! We can help you handle any domestic or international medical or travel emergencies you face while on the road. You can access your Take Me Home services 24/7/365 by calling the number on your card!